Butser Ancient Farm reserves the right to amend this Policy from time to time without prior notice. You are advised to check our website (www.butserancientfarm.co.uk) regularly for any amendments (but amendments will not be made retrospectively).
Butser Ancient Farm will always comply with the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) when dealing with your personal data. Further details on the GDPR can be found at the website for the Information Commissioner (www.ico.gov.uk ). For the purposes of the GDPR, Butser Ancient Farm will be the “controller” of all personal data we hold about you.
- Who are we?
Butser Education CIC
023 9259 8838.
- What information we collect and why.
Personal information we collect may include:
- your name and title
- gender (where you choose to provide this);
- date of birth;
- postal address, email address and phone number;
- family and spouse/partner details, relationships to other donors and/or members and patrons;
- current interests and activities;
- ticket purchase and event registration/attendance;
- payment card data;
- online retail purchases;
- contact preferences;
- information on any donation that you make to Butser Ancient Farm including Direct Debit and bank account information where applicable;
- details of correspondence sent to you, or received from you;
- donor status and wealth assessment information;
- employment information and professional activities;
- where relevant, selected media coverage;
- any other information provided by yourself at the request of Butser Ancient Farm.
Butser Ancient Farm processes personal data for the purposes of providing the service that you have signed up for. We confirm that any personal information which you provide to us and any user information, from which we can identify you, is held in accordance with the registration we have with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
- How we collect your information
We may collect your information in several different ways:
Most of the information we hold is provided directly by you. For example, you may give us your information in order to purchase a ticket or to sign up for one of our events, request our newsletter, make a donation, or purchase something from our shop. We will also collect your information if you email, phone or write to us.
You may also have provided us with your information if you are a volunteer, employee, friend, patron or any other type of supporter or member.
Depending on your privacy settings, we may also collect information about you from your interaction on one of the Social Media platforms we use; for example if you post on our Facebook or Twitter pages or visit our YouTube channel.
When you access our website Butser Ancient Farm will collect the following kinds of information from visitors:
- Your personal details through registration and site usage information, using “cookies” and page tagging techniques. Cookies enable our system to recognise your computer and allow us to see how you use the website.
- When you register on the website, or any external online system we use, we will ask you to input and will collect personal information from you such as your name, e-mail address, billing address, delivery address, membership forms, fundraising responses, telephone number, product selections, credit card or other payment information and a password.
- We may also collect information about where you are on the internet (e.g. the URL you came from, IP address, domain types such as.”co.uk” and “.com”), your browser type, the country you accessed the site from, the pages of our website that were viewed during your visit and any search terms that you entered on our website (“User Information”). We may collect this information even if you do not register with us.
On some occasions we may also collect publicly available information about you. You can read more about this in section 5 below.
- How we use your personal information
Butser Ancient Farm uses your personal information in the following ways:
- To administer and fulfil your ticket order, online purchases or donations;
- To maintain an accurate record of your relationship with us and manage your contact preferences;
- To administer, operate and improve our events, workshops, fundraising activities; and
- Where you have agreed, to send you information about Butser Ancient Farm
- Statistical purposes to improve the website and its services to you;
- Servicing website content;
- Administering the website.
- Administration of membership(s);
- In-house research and statistical analysis;
- Communication about membership, fundraising and other activities;
Processing personal data for the above purposes may entail sharing the information with employees, contractors, agents and professional advisors of Butser Ancient Farm and other carefully selected organisations.
If you have agreed to receive our newsletter, we will send you regular updates that will include information about Butser’s work, as well as our events, special offers and fundraising activities. If you attend a specific event we may contact you afterwards to obtain your feedback.
There are some membership and donation communications that we are required to send regardless of your contact preferences. These are essential communications, deemed necessary to fulfil our contractual obligations to you. These may include Direct Debit confirmations and advanced notices, thank you letters, renewal of membership cards and renewal reminders and querying returned mail or bounced Direct Debit payments with you.
You also may decide to send us personally identifying information, for example, in an electronic mail message containing a question or comment. We use personally identifying information from email primarily to respond to your requests. We may forward your email to other employees who are better able to answer your questions. We may also use your email to contact you in the future about our organisation or to contact you when necessary. Emails and telephone calls will be used for the purposes outlined at the time of collection or registration in accordance with the preferences you express.
- Supporter profiles and targeting communications
Sometimes we may combine your personal information with information available from other publicly available sources.
We do this for a number of reasons; for example so that we can send better communications more likely to interest you – or to provide an improved experience for our supporters and visitors. It also helps us to build a better long term relationship with all of the people who support us currently – or
who may do so in the future. Importantly, it enables us to raise more funds, more quickly and so support the wide and varied work that takes place at Butser Ancient Farm.
We may analyse geographic, demographic and other information relating to you and we may use additional information from third party sources when it is available. Such information is only compiled using publicly available information about you. Some examples of the resources we might use include:
- Royal Mail National Change of Address database (NCOA);
- Google maps
- BT Operator Services Information System (OSIS);
- WealthEngine, a wealth intelligence database;
- Reviewing employment information that you have made publicly available via social media;
- Newspaper articles, publications and company websites;
- Companies House, Bordex and other company information databases;
- Charity Commission
Occasionally we may use aggregated, depersonalised information to carry out other research and analysis. Examples may include looking at which geographic areas our visitors travel from, or which age groups visit us. Individuals cannot be identified using this data.
- How we protect your personal data
Butser Ancient Farm has implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security in order to protect personal data from loss, misuse, or unauthorised alteration or destruction. Please note, however, that where you are transmitting information to Butser over the internet this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
For any payments which Butser Ancient Farm takes from you online we will use a recognised online secure payment system. Butser will notify you promptly in the event of any breach of your personal data which might expose you to serious risk.
- Who else has access to the information you provide us?
Butser Ancient Farm will never sell your personal data. We will not share your personal data with any third parties without your prior consent (which you are free to withhold) except where required to do so by law.
In some circumstances, disclosures of personal information to the police (and other law enforcement agencies) are permitted by data protection legislation, if they relate to the prevention or detection of crime and/or the apprehension or prosecution of offenders. Before any such disclosure takes place, the police are required to demonstrate that the personal information concerned is necessary for them to carry out a proper investigation. Each police request received by Butser Ancient Farm is dealt with on a strictly case-by-case basis to ensure that any such disclosure is lawful and carried out in accordance with relevant guidance issued by the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Butser Ancient Farm may pass your personal data to third parties who are Butser representatives, service providers, agents and subcontractors to us for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf (e.g. to print newsletters and send you mailings). However, we disclose only the personal data that is necessary for the third party to deliver the service and we have a contract in place that requires them to keep your information secure and not to use it for their own purposes.
- Use of data for direct marketing by email, post and telephone
At each point of data collection or registration you will be asked for your consent to receive future direct marketing material from Butser Ancient Farm or other carefully selected organisations by email, post or telephone or texts. Your consent will be recorded and as a result Butser may send you information on its operations, events, membership, fundraising and other activities and those of other carefully selected organisations.
If at any time you no longer wish to receive any communications or wish to have your personal information removed from our records, please do contact us to make this request. If you would like to unsubscribe from our newsletters or other updates you receive from us, please use the link we include at the end of emails. You can also update your contact preferences at any time by contacting us.
- Site usage – cookies
A cookie is a small text file which identifies users’ computers to Butser Ancient Farm’s server. Cookies enhance a website’s performance in a number of ways including providing a secure way to measure use of the website including number of visitors, how frequently pages are viewed, shopping, and the city and country of origin of users. This helps to determine what is popular and can influence the future content and development of websites.
- Links to third party websites
To provide increased value to our users, we may provide links to other websites or resources for you to access at your sole discretion. This policy applies solely to the personal data collected by Butser Ancient Farm and does not apply to any third party websites.
Butser Ancient Farm is not responsible for the privacy policies, content or the use to which others make of these websites and advise users to read the privacy policies of other websites before registering any personal data.
- How long do we keep your information?
Butser Ancient Farm will hold personal data on our systems for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was processed and for as long afterwards as is necessary to comply with our legal obligations. We will review personal data every year to establish whether we are still entitled to process it.
If we decide that we are not entitled to do so, we will stop processing your personal data except that we will retain your personal data in an archived form in order to be able to comply with future legal obligations e.g. compliance with tax requirements and exemptions, and the establishment exercise or defence of legal claims.
Butser Ancient Farm will securely destroy all financial information once we have used it and no longer need it.
- Legal Disclaimer
Butser Ancient Farm will take all reasonable care, in so far as it is in our power to do so, to keep the details of your order and payment secure, but in the absence of negligence on our part we cannot be held liable for any loss you may suffer if a third party procures unauthorised access to any data you provide when accessing or ordering from the website.
- Your rights
You have rights under the GDPR:
(a) to access your personal data
(b) to be provided with information about how your personal data is processed
(c) to have your personal data corrected
(d) to have your personal data erased in certain circumstances
(e) to object to or restrict how your personal data is processed
(f) to have your personal data transferred to yourself or to another business in certain circumstances.
You have the right to take any complaints about how we process your personal data to the Information Commissioner:
https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ 0303 123 1113. Information Commissioner’s Office Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF
For more details, please address any questions, comments and requests regarding our data processing practices to:
Butser Ancient Farm
023 9259 8838.